Mini Dental Implants in Wilkes-Barre, PA
As we age, tooth loss can have a negative impact on our daily habits and sense of well-being. The American College of Prosthodontists estimates that 178 million Americans are missing at least one tooth, and about 40 million Americans are missing all of their teeth. Advancements in dentistry have paved the way for mini dental implants, a modern alternative to conventional dental implants. At Mint Mini Dental Implants, we specialize in quickly restoring your smile with radiant, natural-looking prosthetic teeth. Whether you are missing one tooth or many, we can help you regain your confidence in eating, speaking, and smiling so that you can get back to focusing on the activities you love.
What Are Mini Dental Implants?
Mini dental implants replace missing teeth to restore your bite and maintain your bone health. A mini implant is made of a small titanium post that has a ball on one end. The post is screwed to your jawbone for strength and stability with the ball end sitting above your gumline. We attach a natural-looking artificial crown to this part of the post using a rubber O-ring.
The procedure allows you to replace your teeth in an efficient manner while keeping down costs and lessening the long recovery times associated with traditional implant surgery. Whether you need to replace individual teeth, anchor a dental bridge, or stabilize shifting dentures, mini dental implants can help you achieve a beautiful smile.
Why We Use Mini Implants
Dental implant surgery has traditionally involved a substantial time commitment that can become an obstacle in your tooth replacement journey. Unlike the streamlined design of mini dental implants, the traditional option consists of three pieces. The procedure to place a traditional implant is therefore more complicated and costly.
Traditional implants are also almost twice the size of mini dental implants, meaning that they require more space in your jawbone. Before the advent of mini dental implants, patients who required traditional implants would often need to undergo a bone grafting procedure to add density and volume to the jawbone. This extends the time it takes to restore your smile because the implants cannot be placed until they have healed fully. Complete integration with the jawbone, a process known as osseointegration, takes months with a conventional implant. Though traditional implants get the job done, when you are suffering from missing teeth, this waiting period is a major drawback.
Mini dental implants are an effective solution for those who may not qualify for traditional implants. Or, they may be your preferred tooth-replacement method due to the many benefits that come with this option when compared to traditional implants:
- Smaller diameter: A mini dental implant is smaller than 3 mm, while traditional implants measure approximately 5 mm. The smaller size often eliminates the need for bone grafting, as most patients have enough jawbone volume and density to accommodate the smaller posts.
- Less-invasive procedure: You will be more comfortable during your procedure and as you heal due to the less-invasive nature of mini implants. Owing to their design, the process of placing mini implants is simpler and more efficient.
- Quicker results: Because complete osseointegration is not needed for mini implants, same-day implant placement is possible for most of our patients, enabling you to quickly regain your ability to eat, speak, and smile. Typically, traditional implants require at least two visits with longer periods of healing required for each.
- Shorter recovery period: You’ll experience minimal discomfort during and after your surgery. One of the greatest benefits of mini dental implants is that you’ll be able to return to your normal daily activities in 24-48 hours.
- Versatility: Mini dental implants can be used for a variety of purposes. Using mini dental implants, we can fill in gaps left by individual teeth, support multiple teeth with a dental bridge, replace a full arch of teeth, or stabilize loose dentures.
- Budget-friendly: Mini implants are more cost-effective due to the fewer pieces involved, simpler procedure, and lack of bone grafting. For those with financial limitations, mini implants provide a timely solution that can fit your budget.
Am I a Good Candidate for Mini Dental Implants?
Mini dental implants are a modern solution to missing teeth, but eligibility is based on your specific needs and medical history.
In general, you might be a strong candidate for mini implants if you meet the following criteria:
- You would like to replace one or many teeth.
- You are tired of unsecured bridges or loose dentures and are seeking a permanent fix.
- You are looking for an immediate result without the need for bone grafting.
- You experience dental-related anxiety and prefer a one-day procedure.
- You’d like to save money.
However, mini dental implants are not for everyone. The following medical and lifestyle factors could make you ineligible:
- You are diabetic.
- You have gum disease (periodontitis).
- Your blood does not clot properly (hemophilia).
- You have vascular or bone disease.
- You have a condition that prevents wounds or bones from healing, or you take medications that slow healing.
- You smoke.
- You are receiving chemotherapy or radiation.
- You have oral hygiene concerns.
The best way to determine if you are a good candidate for mini dental implants is to schedule a free consultation today. At your consultation, we can assess your eligibility for mini implants and design a personalized treatment plan based on your needs and goals.
The Mini Implant Process and Procedure
At Mint Mini Dental Implants, we are committed to helping you achieve the oral health you deserve. We’ll begin by discussing your medical history and dental goals. We’ll take X-rays to assess the specifics of your case, evaluate your eligibility for mini implants, and determine how many implants you require. Some patients require full-mouth reconstruction to replace all or most of their missing teeth. Depending on your needs, we may need to extract teeth or treat other conditions first. If mini implants are the proper treatment option for you, we’ll schedule your surgery.
On the day of the surgery, Dr. Coolican will use a local anesthetic to numb your gum and jaw. If you experience dental anxiety and would benefit from additional sedation options, we can discuss these at your consultation. Those that receive additional anesthesia will need to arrange transportation to and from their appointment and plan to arrive a bit earlier.
During the surgery, Dr. Coolican will make a minor incision in your gum before drilling a small hole in your jawbone to accommodate the implant. He’ll place, secure, and tighten the implant using specialized tools and then mount the artificial tooth to the post. You’ll leave your appointment with a beautiful new smile.
When it comes to dental surgery, a common concern is how much pain is associated with the procedure. Because the mini implant procedure is minimally invasive, you’ll experience only minor discomfort. You’ll be able to eat immediately, but a soft food diet is recommended until you feel comfortable eating your favorite foods. In the days following the procedure, you may feel some soreness. Over-the-counter pain medications like ibuprofen can be used to lessen any lingering discomfort.
How Much Do Mini Dental Implants Cost?
When it comes to filling the gaps in your smile, cost shouldn’t prevent you from achieving the quality of life you deserve. While costs are specific to your specific needs and goals, there are several options to fit your budget. We offer flexible financing by leveraging rates from three dental finance companies: Ally, Lending Club, and CareCredit. With 0% introductory rates and options for short or long-term monthly payments, affording your mini dental implants is easier than ever.
Restore Your Smile Today in Wilkes-Barre
At Mint Mini Dental Implants in Wilkes-Barre, PA, we pride ourselves on making a difference in our patients’ lives. Whether you need mini dental implants to replace one tooth or many, Dr. Coolican can help you get back to eating, drinking, and speaking with confidence. Schedule your complimentary consultation with us today to learn how mini implants can quickly transform your smile.
- What is a Mini Dental Implant?
- Tooth Replacement Options
- What are My Options If I’m Missing a Single Tooth?
- What are My Options If I’m Missing Multiple Teeth?
- The Benefits of Mini Dental Implants
- Mini Dental Implants vs Conventional Implants
- What If I Don’t Have Enough Bone for a Dental Implant?
- Bone Loss & Mini Dental Implants
- Do Mini Dental Implants Require Bone Grafting?
- The Mini Dental Implant Process Explained
- Can Dental Implants Replace All of My Teeth?
- Are Dental Implants Safe?
- How Soon After a Tooth Extraction Can I Have a Dental Implant?
- How Long Do Mini Dental Implants Last?
- Who is a Good Candidate for Mini Dental Implants?
- Why Should I Choose Mini Dental Implants?
- How Much Do Mini Dental Implants Cost?
- Does Dental Insurance Cover Implants?
- Mini Dental Implant Financing Options